If you’re like most people, time management can be a challenge. You’re bombarded with work tasks, personal projects, lengthy to-do lists, and emails flooding your inbox.
Last week we talked about time blocking and how it can make you more productive. Today, let’s take it to the next level so you can:
- Eliminate multitasking.
- Focus on the task at hand.
- Get more things done.
- Avoid the perfectionist mindset.
- Build higher levels of willpower and concentration.
- Decrease stress levels.
So, how do you do it?
Let’s go backward to go forward and start with Parkinson’s Law, which states:
Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
So, the more time you “give” a project, the longer you’ll take to complete it.
Now for the simple solution:
Introducing (ta-dahhhh + Jazz Hands!!!!) the Pomodoro Technique.
The Pomodoro Technique breaks down tasks into 25-minute time blocks, followed by a five minute (non-optional!) break. And after completing four Pomodoros, you take a longer break—usually 15 to 30 minutes.
Pomodoro’s work because you focus entirely on one task without shifting focus or multitasking. When the clock is ticking, you ignore the urge to check email, hop on Facebook, answer text messages, or do any other distracting activity. You’re in the zone, and 100% focused.
So let’s talk about developing this time-blocking habit.
Pomodoro Technique in Five Simple Steps
- Choose your task and total time to work on it.
- Set a timer to 25 minutes (either with an egg timer or with an app).
- Work on the task for 25 minutes. Avoid all distractions and urges to multitask.
- Take a 5-minute break for energy renewal, start another Pomodoro.
- Take a 20-30 minute break after completing four Pomodoros.
Easy and super effective, Pomodoro’s improve your productivity and ability to get sh#t done. Here’s how I use the Pomodoro technique in my business.
Here’s a link to your very own “My Week” board of my Trello productivity system. I use this app every single day in my creative small business—it’s made a HUGE difference for us!